ToonFest 2019: Toontown Rewritten's 6th Anniversary!
Posted by The Toontown Team on August 20, 2019 at 2:00 PM
Six years ago, the Toontown community heard the worst news possible: Disney's Toontown Online was closing. Toontown's community was still a large one -- yet the game they cherished was being taken away forever. Many of us lost what felt like a part of ourselves that day, as we said goodbye to our Toons forever. On September 19th, 2013, people sent their final sendoffs as their favorite online game closed…
But something else happened. An announcement was sent out on MMO Central Forums about a project called Toontown Rewritten -- and here we are today, getting ready to celebrate our Six Year Anniversary on September 19th with ToonFest 2019!
September 19th is no longer a time of mourning: it’s a time of celebration! Five years ago, we left behind our limited Closed Beta and our good friend, the PlayLine. Suddenly, thousands of Toons flooded back into Toontown, this time entirely for FREE! As they say, the rest is history. Today, we celebrate the tradition of ToonFest to remember how lucky we are to still have Toontown!
We recently wrapped up our 5th in-person celebration called ToonFest at ReplayFX 2019, but ToonFest is worth more than just a weekend. On September 19, 2019, we will begin Toontown Rewritten's sixth anniversary celebration with the in-game ToonFest event!
What is ToonFest?
ToonFest, named after Disney's real-life Toontown event that took place in 2006 and 2007, is the annual celebration of all things Toontown! From slapstick to silliness, it has a bit of everything. It's time to take a break from the Cog battles, make some new friends, and play some fun games while we think about how far we've come.
This in-game event is not to be confused with the real-world "ToonFest at ReplayFX" event, which happened earlier this month. It's a little confusing -- just roll with it!
What happens during ToonFest?
On September 19th, the official in-game ToonFest celebration kicks off with a series of blog posts by our very own Riggy Marole to keep you entertained and in the Toontown spirit. Here's a little synopsis of everything that the celebration has to offer:
- Over in Acorn Acres, you can enter the ToonFest Event Grounds to join the fun.
- Enter the silliest area in Toontown with a giant Merry-go-Round, (Jelly) Bean Bags, and plenty of activities to keep you occupied while chatting up with friends.
- A grand fireworks spectacular lights up the sky every three hours with a nostalgic Toontown melody, and if you come a bit early you'll be able to catch the sunset!
- Earn "ToonFest Tokens" to buy special items, accessories, and even a unique Toon color -- only available once per year!
- Meet the fleet of Token Takers, noted by their world-famous mustaches. You can’t miss them!
- Stop by and talk to Riggy Marole, the wackiest rabbit in town who acts as the emcee extraordinaire of ToonFest!
- Work together to dunk Cleff, everyone’s favorite duck from Minnie's Melodyland, in the Duck Tank! The more you dunk the duck, the more prizes you earn!
What is there to celebrate?
Toontown was supposed to close six years ago, yet it's still alive and well today! With thousands of daily active players and lots of new content in the works, the Toontown community has proven that this is a game worth keeping.
Every September we take time to "Rewrite" the past with this event. What used to be the saddest day in Toontown's history now marks the beginning of Toontown's greatest celebration. Instead of a loss, we can remember a revival!
Of course, the Toontown Rewritten team also has many new things in the works. After all, we've just began our series of Backstage Toontown Blog Posts about Sellbot Field Offices! Sellbot Field Offices are the single largest project we've ever worked on, but we've got plenty of other smaller projects in the works.
We hope that you're excited to celebrate ToonFest with us, and we thank you all so much for helping us make Toontown what it is today! Now that you've gotten to question us, we have one more for you:
Are YOU Toon Enough?